Wednesday, October 20, 2004

The Flu

I have to admit I am a bit of a germophobe. Also, probably borderline OCD (in fact, my wife pointed out some of my OCD behavior this morning) which might stem from the fact I am a Type 2 diabetic. As such, I live in a regimented world that is difficult to describe, but I have developed certain coping mechanisms geared for survival.

So, that takes me to the topic of the flu. I cannot take a flu shot because I am allergic to eggs (the yolks, which is the part where the vaccine is incubated). I have never taken a flu shot, so the lack of flu vaccines does not impact me directly, but, really it does. As a diabetic, the last thing I want is to catch the flu. While it won’t put me in the hospital, and it won’t put me on a home IV (which I’ve been on before), it will screw up my life. It takes me several extra days (against the norm) to get rid of a cold, so the flu would knock me out for many, many days. As others cannot take the flu shot, that means more people will get the flu thereby exposing the other diabetics and me (as well as others who may have lower than normal immune systems) to the flu.

I project lots of lost work hours this year and lots of people avoiding the doctor’s office for fear of catching the flu from people hacking away in the waiting room. As for me, I was at the Mayo Clinic the other day to see my dermatologist; given the number of people coughing and sneezing, I won’t be back unless it’s an emergency.

Please, wash your hands as much as possible and cover your moth when you cough. I thank you, and others in my situation thank you.