Friday, November 26, 2004

$$ The Day After $$

Last night, the family with whom we celebrated Turkey Day wondered why on earth we’d get up early to go shopping. Actually, we had no good answer. My wife said because we think it’s cool to see what people are buying. I said (to myself) that it’s one of those things we like doing together, and that’s about it.

So, at about 8:30 am today, we were in Best Buy. We missed the big item on our list--$7.99 for “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb” from U2. We bought two Hanukkah gifts for our daughter and a combo DVD player-VCR recorder for $59 (after rebates). Not 100 percent sure I’ll keep it, but it was worth at least taking home. At B2, the big thing appeared to be video game (console, not PC) related stuff. Candidly, I do not know the difference between XBOX (Microsoft), Playstation (Sony) and Gamecube (Nintendo) other than the manufacturer. In 1980, I owned a Mattel Intellivision, but that’s a story for another day.

We then went to Target, but we selected the one north of our home, near Carefree. It is the path less traveled, and they had many of “The Simpsons” (Season 4) for $17.77 still in stock. Actually, they had all their specials still in stock.

From there, we headed up to the Carefree Farmer’s Market (9 am-1 p.m., Fridays) and then out to breakfast with our daughter.

I realized despite my desire to be as far away from home as possible for Thanksgiving, I love waking up in the desert the day after. It is a gorgeous day—sunny with a high in the low 60s.As the song says, "They’re freezing up in Buffalo, stuck in their cars, and I’m lying here ‘neath the sun and the stars.”

RHAPSODY Link