Friday, January 21, 2005

Fitness Center

A few weeks ago, my wife and I were in the fitness room at the Sheraton Palace, just a few blocks from where I am staying. We were virtually alone in the workout room save for a few people straggling in and out, some using the pool.

Yesterday and today, before 6 am, the fitness center here at The Marriott is/was packed. The folks at my company, by and large, are a fit bunch and every machine was in service. I think it’s fairly brave (or just egotistical) to appear uncombed, in sweats, for your colleagues to observe. As for me, I don’t give a hoot what people think, but that’s my mantra for just about everything.

Today, I was feeling especially ragged, so we had to go “old school” on the iPod to get through the 30 minute, high-speed stationary bike ride. Today, we featured The Whispers, Jackie Wilson, Main Ingredient and Sly Stone. I ended with “Kid Charlemagne” by Steely Dan—not a great exercise song, but one with interesting lyrics. I recall reading somewhere that the song is about Stevie Nicks.

Sadly, when I transfered my songs from this PC to my Media Center machine, all of my Gap Band songs were lost. After hearing The Gap Band (a personal favorite) at a party last night, I was ready to chug along with the guys from Tulsa.